Thursday, November 11, 2010

study thoughts


Finally done, the cramming of the last few weeks is over, along with my cyclical periods of study weeks and weekend tramps. I had a relatively light semester that allowed me to have so many weekend adventures. This was not entirely true however, the required work load was light but I under valued the suggested readings and study of my papers. As a result I felt I had learned very little during the semester and the last weeks of studying have been a lot more learning than reviewing. The importance of small practice problems and continuous review during the semester comes into focus. Especially for my Glaciology class. I thought we would need to know more specific knowledge and tidbits about glacial process; but the exam was focused on theoretical developments, specific field studies and observations, and the linkages these studies show between various glacial processes. I wish I had kept up in the readings as I really like reading glaciology papers, I just have a hard time remembering the important facts of them all.

I also really don't like writing essays for exams. I am a slow writer, especially under pressure, and also have a difficult time organizing my thoughts. I fear the essay about biofuels in new zealand for my energy engineering class went very poorly. I did really like researching it, and wouldn't have minded writing an essay on it normally, but my thoughts got all jumbled and I ran out of time in the exam.

Well it's all past now, and it was all pass fail. I'm sure I passed and now I can apply better study habits to my future studies (speaking of lessons I just registered for 6 classes again for next semester and I believe I decided that was a bad idea last semster...)

Study hard!

1 comment:

  1. thoughts on my recently completed studies and study habits.

    ReplyDelete